TrafficSense - Road Traffic Monitoring and Traffic Information Services
TrafficSense tracks all active mobile phones on the roads anonymously, through a connection at the main switches of the cellular network, to provide the best traffic information available today for cities and countries, for all highway, arterials and relevant surface streets. The data quality was validated by many Road Agencies and market leaders to match road sensors data quality, which includes:
- Immediate slowdown alert - similar to road sensors
- Most accurate travel time
- High-resolution local speed - similar to road sensors (reporting segments can be shorter than 250 meters in urban areas)
TrafficSense provides a complete traffic information solution, to all types of customers and end users. These include:
- Road Agencies/Municipalities – for road management and traveler information
- Navigation Providers/car manufactures – for incorporating into their navigation services
- Cellular Operators /Media Companies – for providing traffic information services to end users
TrafficSense platform includes the following service modules:
- Integration with external data sources, such as police reports and other flow data sources (e.g. GPS)
- Incident report module which automatically analyses each event in the flow data, and reports all relevant details per event, such as: “There is a congestion on road 123 between junction X to junction Y, delay time is 15 minutes and travel time is 26 minutes”. These reports can be provided in any industry protocol, such as TMDD, TMC, etc.
- High Definition Traffic Flow data interface for integration with dynamic map data
- Synthetic map reports of the traffic flow as well as automatic voice reports for all incidents
Traffic Information with sensor' quality for all relevant roads through an interface over Google Earth:
How it works:
TrafficSense generates its superior accuracy by taking the huge amount of data points generated by the cellular network, and assigning each data point an accuracy which is similar to GPS. In order to achieve that – the system maps the cellular signaling patterns on the road, and preparing from it a reference location database (instead of the cellular tower location). The process includes recording physical drives over the roads, in which each cellular signaling message is recorded with a GPS location reference. Once this location reference database is ready, the system will use it as follows:
- The system tracks each specific anonymous vehicle, and by using a sequence of cellular messages the mobile phone generates, TrafficSense correlates it to the exact road it is traveling on. TrafficSense can’t distinguish between different lanes, but has the ability to distinguish between parallel, close-by roads and lanes which are separated by some type of terrain
- Once a vehicle is correlated to a road, the system can measure the position of the vehicle accurately, similar to a virtual sensor every 250 meters (in urban areas) along the road, while tracking the same vehicle as it passes every virtual sensor
- Every couple of location points provides an accurate travel time sample for that section. The system collects all the samples to continuously create a full traffic data picture for the monitored road
- A special algorithm is used to derive slowdown alerts from that flow data
Other Potential Contribution of TrafficSense:
Gathering traffic data from TrafficSense can be used for several other purposes:
Road planning: Historical database of speed and volume estimations, continuous over weeks, months and years, as well as and origin destination statistics.
Total delays analysis per section and for the entire road network. This is used by transportation agencies as a tool to evaluate their performance and measure improvements.
TrafficSense provides several Customer Interface options for road management and planning, including:
Interface to Traffic Control Center (TCC) using standard communication protocols, such as XML. Data format can be at TMDD.
Direct connection to Cellint’s Customer Interface client application
TrafficSense’s online distribution platform, which enables multi-customer access to information via internet.
Several exclusive Cellint interfaces can be seen below:
For more information please contact us.